Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming more popular in Denver as people look for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on fuel costs. In fact, in 2022, 10.5% of all new car sales were electric in the state of Colorado. But, to keep these EVs charged, consumers need a reliable and efficient charging infrastructure. If you’re planning to install a fast charger at your home or business in Denver, you’re probably wondering about the cost.
In this article, we’ll explore the factors that affect the cost of installing a fast charger in Denver, provide some estimates, and answer some common questions. If you are still unsure about your specific project feel free to reach out to us at Peak EV Solutions for a free estimate.
Factors that Determine the Cost to Install a Fast Charger
The cost of installing a fast charger can vary depending on several factors. Here are some of the main factors that can influence the cost:
- Type of Fast Charger: The cost of the charger itself can vary depending on the type you choose. Level 2 chargers, which are the most popular for home use, can cost between $500 and $1,200.
- Electrical Panel Upgrade: If your electrical panel is outdated or simply full, you may need to upgrade it to accommodate a charger. This can cost between $500 and $3,000 and if needed, is typically the most expensive part of the project. If funding is available, Denver does provide financial assistance for the cost of a panel upgrade.
- Electrical Work: Installing a fast charger requires electrical work, which can cost between $300 and $1,000, depending on the complexity of the installation. There are two popular ways to install a level 2 charger and that is either hardware or NEMA plug. You can learn more in our article titled “What is the difference between hardwiring an EV charger and installing a NEMA 14-50 plug?“
- Permitting and Inspection Fees: Depending on your location, you may need to obtain permits and pay for inspections, which can cost between $100 and $500. Some companies charge extra for permitting, at Peak EVS our installers will factor this cost into your estimate.
Find a Certified Electrician
Next, it’s important to find and contact a certified electrician to help with your installation. At Peak EV Solutions, one of our certified Installers will provide you with a free installation quote including all available rebates and incentives to ensure that you receive the best price. We can also help you with selecting a charger and answer any other EV questions that you might have. We are 100% focused on the EV industry so you can rest assured that you’ll have the best start-to-finish experience.
- Do I need a permit to install a fast charger in Denver? Yes, you’ll need a permit from the city of Denver to install a fast charger. At Peak EV Solutions, our certified Installers will handle all necessary permitting and include this in your estimate.
- Can I install a fast charger myself? We do not recommend installing a charger yourself unless you are a certified electrician. Working with electricity can be very dangerous and should only be done by professionals. It’s best to hire a licensed electrician who specializes in EV charger installation.
- How long does it take to install a fast charger? The installation time can vary depending on the type of charger and the complexity of the installation. It’s best to expect the project to take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours.
Installing a fast charger in Denver can be a smart investment if you own an electric vehicle. While the cost of installation can vary depending on several factors, it’s generally affordable, especially considering the long-term benefits and potential value increase for home resale.