Below is information mostly from Austin Energy’s website. For the latest and most accurate info, please visit their site directly by clicking here.
50% of the purchase and installation cost
Maximum rebate amount is:
$1,200 for OCPP (Open Charge Point Protocol) compliant stations
$900 for non-OCPP (Open Charge Point Protocol) compliant stations
To qualify for Austin Energy’s electric vehicle charging station rebate program, you must meet certain prerequisites: you must be an Austin Energy customer, own or lease a plug-in electric vehicle, and adhere to specific equipment installation requirements, which include obtaining a city permit and inspection for hard-wired charging stations, having a licensed electrician handle installations, using new charging stations that are UL, ETL, or cETL listed, and ensuring the receptacles for plug-in stations meet the same criteria. Additionally, Austin Energy reserves the right to replace your charging station with their own during your commitment period, may install monitoring devices in your home, and you agree to participate in their surveys and programs. Lastly, the program offers one rebate per electric vehicle lease or purchase.
How to Apply
Find an Electrician
You must use a licensed electrician to qualify for this offering. As with any service for your home, we recommend that you check references and get at least three different estimates from the licensed electrician of your choice.
Apply for Your Rebate Online
The Austin Energy account holder must submit the application. Please make sure you have everything you need before starting. The following information is required for your online rebate application:
- Active Austin Energy electric customer account number
- Electrician license number and expiration date
- Charging station manufacturer/ model
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Vehicle dealership
- Proof of electric vehicle lease or purchase.
- This must be the vehicle registration, title, lease, or final purchasing agreement.
- For a Tesla, you must have it in your possession for eligibility.
- If submitting a Tesla final purchasing agreement, be sure it’s stamped as “paid in full” or showing a $0 balance.
- Copy of fully paid invoices
How do I know if I’m qualified for the rebate?
- You must receive electricity from Austin Energy.
- You must have purchased or leased a plug-in electric vehicle.
Equipment Installation Requirements
- Austin Energy requires a City of Austin electrical permit and inspection for the installation of all hard-wired charging stations and receptacles for plug-in stations.
- A licensed electrician must perform installations of hard-wired charging stations and receptacles.
- The charging station must be new.
- Plug-in and hard-wired charging stations must be UL, ETL, or cETL listed and receptacles for plug-in stations must be UL, ETL, or cETL listed.
- Austin Energy may, at any time during your commitment period, replace your charging station with an Austin Energy-owned charging station located in your home and on your side of the meter.
- Austin Energy may install and operate Austin Energy-owned data monitoring or charge management devices in your home and on your side of the meter.
- You agree to participate in Austin Energy surveys, interviews, and/or future charge management programs. Austin Energy may use the participant’s charging station communication signals to perform charge and load control functions, including cycling charging.
- One rebate per electric vehicle lease or purchase.
What Level 2 chargers qualify for the EV Charger Rebate?
Can the homeowner perform the home wiring work?
A licensed electrician, such as Peak EV Solutions, needs to perform the home wiring work to qualify for the EV Charger Rebate.