Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming more popular in Austin as people look for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on fuel costs. In fact, in January this year, 9.3% of all new monthly car sales were electric in Austin. But, to keep these EVs charged, consumers need a reliable and efficient charging infrastructure. If you’re planning to install an EV charger at your home or business in Austin, you’re probably wondering about the cost.
In this article, we’ll explore the factors that affect the EV charger installation cost in Austin, provide some estimates, and answer some common questions. If you are still unsure about your specific project feel free to reach out to us at Peak EV Solutions for a free estimate.
Factors that Affect EV Charger Installation Cost in Austin:
Several factors can influence the cost of installing an EV charger in Austin, including:
- Charger: Picking the right charger will be the main upfront cost when installing a level 2 charger at your home. You’ll want to consider things like cable length, charging speed, Wi-Fi capabilities, certification, and more. Check out our charging information or reach out to us to see what will work best for your situation.
- Electrical Capacity: The electrical capacity of your home or business will play a big factor in determining your cost. If your electrical system can’t support the charger’s power demands, you may need to upgrade your electrical panel, which can increase the cost.
- Permitting and Inspection Fees: In Austin and surrounding municipalities, you’ll need a permit to install an EV charger, and you’ll also need to have it inspected to ensure it meets safety standards. These fees will be added to the installation cost and we will not mark them up
- Labor Cost: The cost of labor will depend on the complexity of the installation, the location, and the contractor you choose.
- Hardwire or Plug: There are two popular ways to install a level 2 charger and that is either hardware or NEMA plug. You can learn more in our article titled “What is the difference between hardwiring an EV charger and installing a NEMA 14-50 plug?“
Estimated Cost of EV Charger Installation in Austin:
Based on the above factors, the estimated costs for installing an EV charger in Austin are between $500 and $2,000, with the average being about $1,700. It’s important to note that these are only estimates, and the actual cost of installation can vary based on your specific situation.
- Do I need a permit to install an EV charger in Austin? Yes, you’ll need a permit from the city of Austin or the local municipality to install an EV charger. At Peak EV Solutions, our Certified Installers will handle all necessary permitting and include this in our costs.
- Can I install an EV charger myself? It’s possible to install an EV charger yourself, but it’s not recommended unless you have the necessary knowledge and experience. Working with electricity can be very dangerous and should only be done by professionals. It’s best to hire a licensed electrician who specializes in EV charger installation.
- How long does it take to install an EV charger? The installation time can vary depending on the type of charger and the complexity of the installation. It’s best to expect the project to take anywhere from 4 to 8 hours.
Installing an EV charger in Austin can be a smart investment if you own an electric vehicle. While the cost of installation can vary depending on several factors, it’s generally affordable, especially considering the long-term benefits and potential value increase for home resale.